Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Links and Such for a Showery Wednesday

Jen: Related to Monday's post, here are a few links that are making me happy this week concerning color and light.  First on the list is the clip to the actual song "Color and Light," from the live recording of Stephen Sondheim's Sunday in the Park with George, performed by Mandy Patinkin and Bernadette Peters. 


On an only slightly related note, check out NPR's The Picture Show blog.  Besides featuring consistently excellent articles that feature impressive photographs, it also presents a few posts dealing with, you guessed it, color and light.  This one deals more with color, but it sort of reminds me of ye olde Impressionist paintings.  (Well, not all, not really--well, I guess I'm only talking about picture four.)  (Okay, the art enthusiast in me has to admit that most of them resemble more of early twentieth-century styles.)  (All right, I don't know what I'm talking about.)  If you like color and liquor, you'll enjoy this article.

Also, take a look at this article for a couple of extraordinary snow photos.  The top and bottom pictures display what I attempted to convey with Monday's post (the middle one is purdy, too).  If you like what you see there, I suggest also taking a look at these photographers' Flickr sites, which the blog provides in the captions.

That's it on my end!  Have a good evening.

Haley: So, here I am, rather late having had to sit out a tornado siren and collect cats.  I must say that I'm a bit at a loss as to what to write today, even with Jen having done the hard work of starting the post and choosing a topic.  Le sigh.

Okay, let's see... color and light... (*cracks knuckles and wiggles fingers*).  I suppose I'll begin with something I find fairly interesting.  In her post on Monday, Jen discussed the product of the combined efforts of color and light and how the two naturally go together.  So, here is a (somewhat simplified) scientific explanation of how color and light are indeed naturally linked.  Pretty spiffy.

But anyway, on to the really fun stuff - books! *pushes glasses up nose*  These two books are both on my wish list, having thumbed through them both.  The first is Practical Artistry: Light & Exposure for Digital Photographers.  This book has a fairly extensive section on using lighting and various techniques and, more importantly, some truly awesome photographs. Next, we have Digital Lighting & Rendering. I've selected this book because it contains extensive chapters on light and also has a really good chapter each on color and shadows.

Aaaaaannnnnnd... yeah.  That's about it for our Wednesday post.  Enjoy, and join me on Friday for my post on color and light in portraiture and nature photography, using available lighting sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment