Monday, April 4, 2011

The Colorrrrrsssss

So, as Haley has suggested, we're going to do a bit of a reverse maneuver and head back to the realm of color.  Though somewhat similar to our theme a couple of weeks back concerning color and light (with more emphasis on light's effect on color), this week we're going to focus on simply color and how over-saturation can make just as much of a statement as your classic black and white.
This would be a lot more helpful if I, er, had some examples of uber-saturation.

Just kidding; I do.  Going through my impressive repertoire, though, I've noticed that my saturated-laden photographs deal more with tints, which will be a future topic.  However, I'm quite glad Haley has suggested this theme for the week, as it's let me look back on the few over-saturated photos and how they compare to my standard line of expertise.

Heather - Huntsville, AL (2009)
I thought I'd shake things up a bit a post "before" and "after" shots of the photos discussed.  At right, we see the original shot of Heather at Green Mountain.  It's a standard portrait shot, though I like the angle and how Heather's hair partially hides her face, along with her earring dangling just below her jawline.  Heather's v-neck shirt also adds to the picture's overall angularity, which compliments the model's features very well.  However, the original photo's color is somewhat lacking: Heather's skin comes off as too pale, her hair too dull--which did not reflect reality.  Though I'm all for original photos, some compositions require a little oomph (yes, that's a word).  Such as...

Heather, Recolored
 Yes.  Over-saturation.  As you see with this next picture, the hair is much more vibrant, the skin looks less like white marble (though white marble is pretty), and the overall interest in the picture increases because of the pop of color.  I'm not too sure this would count as over-saturation, but it did take a helluva lot of saturatin' to make this version.  So, I guess that counts for something.  Right?

Right?

...Maybe.


H&P, Chattanooga, TN (2011)
 There's really nothing wrong with this next picture, which is adorable in and off itself.  However, as I started the editing process, I noticed that the skin tones of the two models displayed many shades of pink, and I wanted to capitulate on that.  So, with some minor cropping and increasing of ye olde saturation, I was able to come up with something a little more eye-catching.

H&P, Recolored
Voila!  Something a little more visually interesting, while maintaining the cute factor.   Note the pinks prevalent in the models' lips and cheeks, which actually brings more attention to the sweet peck on the cheek, which is the focus of this particular shot.  The male model's blue shirt also pops out to the viewer more, which adds a bit of nice contrast to the picture overall.  What had been an already-pleasant photo becomes all the more attention-grabbing because of some slight over-saturation, though not really enough so to merit being a model example of the type of photography...  So...hmm.  Give me a minute to think here...


Ah, wait!  I may have something.

Vwah!

Near the Tower Belem - Lisbon, Portugal (2010)
I...I got fed up with the photo-arranging system, so there's no "before" picture.  Still, you can tell that this photo has been doin' some saturatin' work.  I like how the blues of the water really stand out in contrast to the browns of the bridge.  (I also like it that you can see the Belem Tower in the background, but that's another story.)  Along with the other two examples, over-saturation brings vivid light into the composition, which emphasizes many aspects of the photos themselves.  Here, we see that over-saturation also adds contrast, which thus invites the eye to examine the various angles within the composition (see if you can spot them all).  Had the photo remained in its original state (oh, okay; I may be persuaded to put up the original), the composition would not have been as detailed.

Whew.  That's all for me right now.  See you Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment