Thursday, May 5, 2011

Alike, and Yet So Different

So, this Wednesday's blog post (posted on Thursday...) focuses on how two photographers can take a picture of the same thing differently.

Moss!
Jen: Today's theme is...moss!  This was taken at Rock City during a recent trip to Chattanooga, TN.  Gotta say, this isn't my favorite picture in the world--the composition doesn't hold enough interest for me.  However, I guess this can be considered yet another study in texture, as I was drawn to the interesting lines of the creeping moss on the rocks.  This shot was more on a whim and is more or less a glimpse into my "practice" shots--I get a grasp of what I want in a picture or composition through these shorts, which are sort of throwaway, in all honesty.  Still, this photo is an intriguing look into my own photo processes and how seriously I can take my concentrated studies even in not-so good compositions.

I could actually do some really interesting things with the photo: manipulation, use over another photography to create even better textures, etc.  So, along with practicing in certain studies, I also look at ways I can actually use a photo like this in more creative ways.  See?  Everyone wins!  And now to Haley, who will discuss her methods behind her picture.


Haley:  So, my photograph from this set is quite a bit different from Jen's close-up mossy shot (which by the way, might benefit from super-saturation, while we're talking about how to photo edit it).  Nevertheless, we are actually taking a shot of the same thing.  Mostly.

Like Jen, this photo is a fairly good example of my photo-taking aesthetic. Jen likes texture and still life, I like nature and portraiture. (Also, I seem to suffer from a compulsory disorder that forces me to photograph Jen).

Unlike Jen, I'm pretty fond of this shot.  The composition, while not stellar, is good. The arching stone cradles Jen and draws our eye to her, meanwhile her positioning, sharing the center of the photo with the beginning of the moss draws our attention the mossy subject as well. Thus, we create a dual focus in the photograph, balancing the natural element with the spontaneous portrait.

This photograph also shows the benefit of a little photo editing (see original to the right).  I've slightly enhanced the color saturation here, removing the dull overcast gray of the day (which you can still see in Jen's photo above) and replacing it with a vibrant green.  This effect also emphasizes the underlying stonework of the moss-covered bridge and the texture of the moss itself.

Until tomorrow, when I shall update the blog with some of my latest favored shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment